EAGLE FARM WOMEN'S PRISON AND FACTORY
|visits since 31 August 2008|
The Eagle Farm Women’s Prison and Factory was listed on the Register of the National Estate in 1990 and is also included on the Queensland Heritage Register. It was reported to be on the Brisbane City Council’s draft list of potential heritage places within the Gateway Port area. Eagle Farm Women’s Prison and Factory will form part of the Eagle Farm Heritage Precinct which is located on the site of the old Eagle Farm airfield.
Commandant Logan established a farm at Eagle Farm in 1829, four years after the establishment of the Moreton Bay penal colony. Women convicts were subsequently sent to this site which became known as the Eagle Farm Women’s Prison and Factory. In 1839 the prison was closed and the site was subsequently used for growing citrus fruits, some other crops and for grazing.
The Eagle Farm Women’s Prison and Factory Site is a significant archaeological site, one of only seven sites of secondary punishment remaining in Australia. It is one of Australia’s five sites of female houses of correction, and one of a small number of convict sites remaining in Queensland of which surviving original fabric has been identified, albeit as an archaeological deposit.
The Eagle Farm Women’s Prison and Factory Site is highly valued, for its cultural associations, by the Nundah and Districts Historical Society, and the heritage community of Queensland. The site also has associations with early historical figures including New South Wales Governor Darling, Commandant Logan and J Blackhouse.
|ATAIU - Allied Technical Air Intelligence Unit||AHQ - Aerospace Heritage Queensland||EFCHC - Eagle Farm Cultural Heritage Centre|
|Eagle Farm Airfield||Eagle Farm Women' Prison and Factory||Allison Engine Testing Stands|
Japanese Aircraft rebuilt in Hangar 7 at Eagle Farm by the ATAIU
click on the e-mail box below
This page first produced 31 August 2008
This page last updated 02 December 2009